Skip to main content

Secure on the Cloud: a Keynote

Some time ago, I gave a keynote at a CloudSec 2016 Conference in Mumbai. I was pleased to learn recently that the organizers put it on Youtube. I've presented this point of view before - with slides; this was my first attempt to break away from the oppression of Powerpoint and be slidefree.

Comments

  1. Love the way you linked security to agility. Great analogy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed listening to you as always.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rethinking Disaster Recovery

Disaster Recovery has been on the minds of companies ever since the early days of commercially available computing. Today's world of DR revolves around four acronyms - BIA (business impact analysis), RPO (recovery point objective), RTO (recovery time objective) and BCP (business continuity plan). The acronyms appear in a disaster recovery plan in roughly in that order, the thinking being that you first analyse the impact to business of systems being down, then figure out how far back in the past are you willing to turn the dial back to recover from (last day, last hour, last millisecond). Next focus on how long you can afford to be down. Finally - buy a boatload of hardware, software and services to convert all this into action. Setting up a DR is a hugely expensive affair that takes a significant amount planning and effort, not to mention all those drills and tests every now and then. CTOs have followed this prescription since the late seventies (apparently the first hot site wa...

Outsourcing III–The "Who" Question

A little while ago, I was asked to give a presentation to CEOs on outsourcing. The audience wanted to know about adopting outsourcing for their companies; making use of its promise while avoiding its pitfalls. It seemed to me (unimaginatively, I must admit) that the whole thing boiled down to four fundamental questions - the why , the what , the who and the how . I decided to expand the presentation into a series of blog posts, one per question. The Who Question Once you've clarified why you're looking for an outsource partner and also which pieces to outsource, you're faced with the next big question – who? What should you look for in your potential outsourcing partner? The choice, I put to you, comes down to four linked characteristics. Ability The first characteristic, of course, is ability. A vendor cannot be under consideration at all if the basic ability to handle whatever you plan to outsource is not present. This is not always an easy thing to judge, especi...

Being Brave

I recently read Annie Zaidi's book about dacoits, dead children and the fear of being groped, and it set me thinking about how easy it is to be brave when nothing is threatening you. I know I present it as an earthshaking revelation that the universe needed me and only me to discover, but it is the start of a blog and I can be forgiven for a small amount of self-importance. After all, blogs are essentially exercises in the unshaken belief that people want to read what you write. Back to the bravery bits. My daily commute to office, strewn with garbage, potholes, oddly designed roads and casual, insouciant encroachment reminds me repeatedly that in India a lot of things need work, but I also realize I live in a world that is not threatened in any way. A complex web of interactions that we never think about keep our lives free of many fears and constraints, things that I and the people around me take for granted. The freedom to speak, the freedom from arbitrary search and seizure,...