Skip to main content

A Matter of Consequence

While the corruption movement rages on, a personal note of sadness intruded yesterday.

At breakfast, my mother casually mentioned to me an accident where a coconut tree had fallen on someone, killing him; we dwelled briefly on the freak, tragic nature of it – trees don't usually fall on people in Mumbai, coconut trees even less so – but I didn't think very much of it then. The next morning, a large obituary notice abruptly made the matter more personal.

The person in question was Ved Prakash Arya.

I have known Ved, on and off, from my early IBM days; he was a customer then. We met again a decade later; him as COO of Pantaloon Retail (Future Group was still in the future) and me as a newly minted CEO of subsidiary company Futurebazaar. I can safely say that I would not have made it through my first year without help, and a key person providing the steadying hand was Ved. He was effectively my boss, but more than formal interaction Ved's off-the-cuff feedback and pointers were critical in keeping my head above water and avoiding some imminent rookie mistakes. When he left Pantaloon to start his own fund, it was a big and disorienting loss. He continued to give me occasional advice, but our contacts grew less frequent – from nearly daily to once in a while.

I always wanted to emulate Ved. He was marginally older than me, came from a background of no particular priviledge, and went through a similar academic journey. However, he had something that people start dreaming of in their teens and usually give up only in their deathbed. Ved was just forty two, but he had already achieved  some measure of what I'm still hoping I will achieve.

Ved, you see, was a person of consequence.

Consequence is harder than success, than money, than power. Consequence is the difference between Steve Jobs and the average CEO, between Anna's lakhs of followers and the average politician's lakhs of votes, between a person who merely achieves a milestone and a person who influences in some way the events that follow him. Many make money or gain power, few gain consequence.

Ved materially impacted people; many emulated him, his methods, tried to copy his achievements. We have been tragically reminded how fragile life is, how temperamental the nature of the universe. Ved died young, but he became a person of some consequence well before he died. I hope I achieve some measure of what Ved did before, inevitably, some form of coconut tree strikes me down.

Goodbye, Ved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Outsourcing I–The "Why" Question

A little while ago, I was asked to give a presentation to CEOs on outsourcing. The audience wanted to know about adopting outsourcing for their companies; making use of its promise while avoiding its pitfalls. It seemed to me (unimaginatively, I must admit) that the whole thing boiled down to four fundamental questions - the why , the what , the who and the how . I decided to expand the presentation into a series of blog posts, one per question. The Why Question Why outsource? Given that a trillion-dollar industry has crowded a lot of people into Bangalore and made more than one driver rich, it seems a little late to ask this question. However, this isn't really about outsourcing being good or bad per se. Bloggers like us love to wallow in theoretical questions; companies usually want answers to more prosaic stuff. The question really is, why should a company be looking for an outsource partner ?   I've divided the universe into two simple flavours – Tactical and Str

The Economics of 'E'

Mass market retailing is an expensive business. Rents, staff, inventory – the average brick and mortar retailer struggles along with barely visible net margins (spontaneous dancing is known to happen at 5%). With thousands of stores, hundreds of warehouses and over two million employees, Wal-Mart has in the last five years managed a profit margin of just 3.5%. The story is no different for any other major brick & mortar retailer, American or desi. Cool-kid-on-block Internet retail, on the other hand, thumbs a nose at the old-fashioned ways and gives the distinct impression that it can do much better. There's just one small problem. The bellweather Amazon, for all its buzz, seems unfortunately to have done much the same (indeed, a little less at 2.48% over the same period); nor has any other sizeable virtual retailer done much different. What gives? The law of unintended consequences, that's what. Lets take two of the most discussed items – rent and inventory. Mind you, thi

Outsourcing III–The "Who" Question

A little while ago, I was asked to give a presentation to CEOs on outsourcing. The audience wanted to know about adopting outsourcing for their companies; making use of its promise while avoiding its pitfalls. It seemed to me (unimaginatively, I must admit) that the whole thing boiled down to four fundamental questions - the why , the what , the who and the how . I decided to expand the presentation into a series of blog posts, one per question. The Who Question Once you've clarified why you're looking for an outsource partner and also which pieces to outsource, you're faced with the next big question – who? What should you look for in your potential outsourcing partner? The choice, I put to you, comes down to four linked characteristics. Ability The first characteristic, of course, is ability. A vendor cannot be under consideration at all if the basic ability to handle whatever you plan to outsource is not present. This is not always an easy thing to judge, especi