Skip to main content

Being Brave

I recently read Annie Zaidi's book about dacoits, dead children and the fear of being groped, and it set me thinking about how easy it is to be brave when nothing is threatening you. I know I present it as an earthshaking revelation that the universe needed me and only me to discover, but it is the start of a blog and I can be forgiven for a small amount of self-importance. After all, blogs are essentially exercises in the unshaken belief that people want to read what you write.

Back to the bravery bits. My daily commute to office, strewn with garbage, potholes, oddly designed roads and casual, insouciant encroachment reminds me repeatedly that in India a lot of things need work, but I also realize I live in a world that is not threatened in any way. A complex web of interactions that we never think about keep our lives free of many fears and constraints, things that I and the people around me take for granted. The freedom to speak, the freedom from arbitrary search and seizure, the freedom to basically go about our lives hindered only by the disapproving looks the next door aunty. They say freedoms should not be taken for granted, yet I think - unless a freedom is taken for granted it is no freedom at all. If freedom has constantly to be demanded we are not yet free.

So I hope my voice will remain brave where there is nothing to fear. Now if only I was better at this head-held-high business.

Popular posts from this blog

Outsourcing I–The "Why" Question

A little while ago, I was asked to give a presentation to CEOs on outsourcing. The audience wanted to know about adopting outsourcing for their companies; making use of its promise while avoiding its pitfalls. It seemed to me (unimaginatively, I must admit) that the whole thing boiled down to four fundamental questions - the why , the what , the who and the how . I decided to expand the presentation into a series of blog posts, one per question. The Why Question Why outsource? Given that a trillion-dollar industry has crowded a lot of people into Bangalore and made more than one driver rich, it seems a little late to ask this question. However, this isn't really about outsourcing being good or bad per se. Bloggers like us love to wallow in theoretical questions; companies usually want answers to more prosaic stuff. The question really is, why should a company be looking for an outsource partner ?   I've divided the universe into two simple flavours – Tactical and Str

The Economics of 'E'

Mass market retailing is an expensive business. Rents, staff, inventory – the average brick and mortar retailer struggles along with barely visible net margins (spontaneous dancing is known to happen at 5%). With thousands of stores, hundreds of warehouses and over two million employees, Wal-Mart has in the last five years managed a profit margin of just 3.5%. The story is no different for any other major brick & mortar retailer, American or desi. Cool-kid-on-block Internet retail, on the other hand, thumbs a nose at the old-fashioned ways and gives the distinct impression that it can do much better. There's just one small problem. The bellweather Amazon, for all its buzz, seems unfortunately to have done much the same (indeed, a little less at 2.48% over the same period); nor has any other sizeable virtual retailer done much different. What gives? The law of unintended consequences, that's what. Lets take two of the most discussed items – rent and inventory. Mind you, thi

Outsourcing III–The "Who" Question

A little while ago, I was asked to give a presentation to CEOs on outsourcing. The audience wanted to know about adopting outsourcing for their companies; making use of its promise while avoiding its pitfalls. It seemed to me (unimaginatively, I must admit) that the whole thing boiled down to four fundamental questions - the why , the what , the who and the how . I decided to expand the presentation into a series of blog posts, one per question. The Who Question Once you've clarified why you're looking for an outsource partner and also which pieces to outsource, you're faced with the next big question – who? What should you look for in your potential outsourcing partner? The choice, I put to you, comes down to four linked characteristics. Ability The first characteristic, of course, is ability. A vendor cannot be under consideration at all if the basic ability to handle whatever you plan to outsource is not present. This is not always an easy thing to judge, especi